Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Foundation for Ministry

John 13:3 Jesus, knowing that the father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going back to God (ESV)

This verse is the pinnacle of this section, a glance at the thoughts of Jesus. We see his motivating factor, it was for this reason Jesus washes the disciples feet. This is insight into the driving force that enabled Jesus to be the man he was. I wonder how often we try and create our faith, we spend more time creating an image of God in our head instead of allowing the mere that fact that he is present and within be enough. Jesus understood who God was, I am confident to say until we can gain a right perspective of who God is and our identity in him then our motives will not be pure and our work will be in vain. There are a few key things that are clearly shown in the section alone on how Jesus’ perspective of God allowed him to be obedient to the end. Looking back at verse 1 is, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. I think this is such a key verse as well. What makes it better is we see what enabled Jesus to walk this way, aside from an empowerment from the spirit, he allowed the fact that he has come from God and was going back to God to be his motivator to the end. This reminds me of Paul, I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus. Again Paul was a man who knew God, his worldview was shaped and molded by the word of God, and Gods character found within. Paul like Jesus, allowed this perspective and right understanding of God to motivate him till the end. To finish strong. In the words of Paul, Every athlete exercises self control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. Paul makes such a strong point here. If an Olympic trainer is willing to let a perishable wreath, motivate and drive them day in and day out until they receive their earthly reward, how much more should we be pressing on till the end for the eternal reward that awaits us. I look at the life of Paul and think if nothing else, what we can grab from him is perspective. He was a man who knew who he was, Paul a bondservant of Christ Jesus. He wore that badge proudly and had an eternal view of his identity in Christ. So back to the verse, what I grab from this is a better understanding of how Jesus viewed his relationship with the father. He knew from beginning to the end, God was in control of every step leading and providing along the way. He let the mere realization of that simple truth be his foundation for ministry.

Application:

Today I will set aside an hour to get into the word. I am coming to the end of one chapter in my life and about to start another, instead of taking a break and rewarding myself I will press on and finish out my time here strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment