Thursday, May 10, 2012

Don't Take It!

Ephesians 6:6 not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart (ESV)

    Now we see Paul specifically address the reader to be a bondservant of Christ. Thus another piece of evidence to back my hypothesis that the term slave in verse five is not condoning the slavery this world misconstrues. Rather Paul is giving us a biblical worldview of the master-servant relationship. This verse has been one that has convicted me since the day I received Christ. Considering everything I did before I knew Christ, was to hold an appearance that would be accepted by those around me. I find myself in the ministry struggling with this same problem. Am I worried about the thoughts of those around me? Do I do what I do to seek praise from those around me? These are questions I have to constantly ask myself of. What are my motives for doing the things I do.
    The more I live out this life of faith and the more begin to understand the love God has for his people, I begin to realize how empty and shallow the praise of man truly is. Working to please man, is a laborious task that reaps little reward. Usually at best you might receive a shallow praise. At any rate, what benefit is this? Congratulations, you have been noticed. Then what, off to the next task, to toil long and hard. And for what? Another shallow praise. Now I don’t know about you, but that sounds like a vicious cycle. Not to mention that fact that we were not created to be praised. You see, we were created to praise. To praise God and only him. When man receives the worship that was intended for God it’s a nasty thing. Look at the lives of so many celebrities. Miserable, addicted and for what? To die of an overdose or be buried and forgotten in a hundred years. Don’t allow yourself to receive the praise that was meant for God. You were not created to handle this kind of worship and in turn will see a life of self destruction play out.
    “Doing the will of God from the heart.” There it is. Its one thing to know Gods will, its another thing to do it out of the right motive. I don’t really know if its possible to be in his will and to be doing it out of selfish ambition. I would have to say probably not. So although the work your doing may be were God has lead you, the condition of the heart is what makes or breaks it. God cannot be glorified in our grumbling or in our complaining. For what kind of servant loves his master yet despises the work he has placed before him. So praise the Lord from a joyful heart, and may his name be glorified and worshiped through your actions.

Application:

Today if I receive any praise I will point it God, giving him all the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment