Monday, May 21, 2012

To See is to Believe?

John 3:2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” (ESV)
    I think the key word in this verse is know. If this word said believe instead I think the meaning of this verse would change completely. How often can we know something to be the truth, yet we don’t actually believe it. By believe it I mean acting it out in a way that would show your belief of the matter. I once knew of God, knowing the truth that he was the creator of the earth. But I did not believe it enough to act on it, or to allow it to change my life. To be my worldview, my perspective my world belief. I think we see a stark difference in simply knowing the truth and in believing the truth to the point of applying it to your life.
    Once I allowed the belief to become a reality is when it became personal. When what I knew, became what I believed, which became the way I lived my life. But the knowledge of God was not enough. There was a missing element, the element that can only be found through a personal relationship. Some say to see is to believe. But I think to believe is to see. This is why; what’s going on around is always the same. For our God is never changing, constant in his character, attributes, and master physician. But my belief will change the way I see what takes place. For a room full of people could see the same thing. Yet when asked what they just saw you would get several different takes on the situation. This diversity comes from worldview that has been engrained into the very logic and thinking of that person. When the bible is our worldview, when we put on the lenses of Gods word, then what we know, is what we believe, which in turn creates what we see. Or should I say how we see, for regardless we all see the same thing, but the response is where we find a difference.
    We can look at the Pharisees for example, or Nicodemus, whose source for view was the scriptures. Although this was a source of knowledge, not of application. The personal aspect of a God centered relationship was missing. The law was his motivation, not the spirit within. His worldview was one that hindered him from being able to accept the truth. For he knew Jesus was from God, only he did not equate the signs of Jesus to the Messiah, for his worldview was one of conquering Messiah. Not one of a suffering Messiah. So my point here is knowledge is in vain without a proper perspective and worldview inspired by application of the bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment