Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Whose Wise?

John 3:1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews (ESV)

    Nicodemus was not just a Pharisee, but a ruler of the Jews. This religious sect held great power in this time and ruled amongst the other Jews. Pharisee means: “One of a sect among the Jews, whose religion consisted in a strict observance of rites and ceremonies and of the traditions of the elders, and whose pretended holiness led them to separate themselves as a sect, considering themselves as more righteous than other Jews.” Pharisee in the Hebrew actually means to separate. I think we can learn this from the Pharisees. When one gains to much knowledge for their own good it can be dangerous. It can cause us to separate from others. We become bitter of heart, disgusted by the world and the unrighteousness of others. This state is not how the word has called us to live. This is not the wisdom we are called to walk in.
    For “the lips of the wise spread knowledge, not so the hearts of fools.” The knowledge the Pharisees spread was not this, for they separated from the common class, thinking that the knowledge they had was to holy to be in the presence of the commonplace. We know this, “they tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on peoples shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.” The knowledge that the Pharisees imparted was burdensome. It was to keep the gap of separation, to make the average Jew feel worthless and set apart for failure. They preached condemnation, not conviction. “For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.”
    I have been convicted to examine what kind of knowledge I am imparting to those around me. Often times I find myself using the bible to tear apart what others say. To separate myself from them by the harsh things I lay on them. My belief, my worldview and perspective have been used to my determent. Instead of allowing these truths to give me compassion for others, I have hardened my heart and become annoyed at those around me. Also I feel my pride has grieved my Spirit and separated me from the still small voice of the Lord. I need to humble myself before the Lord, but remain confident in what God has called me to do, so that I might not hinder the Lord using my life to his glory

Application:
Today I will prayerfully read my bible for an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment