Thursday, March 8, 2012

Man or God?

Galatians 6:4 But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. (ESV)

One question comes to mind when I read this. Who am I allowing to set my standard of living? Man or God? So often I find myself looking at how another is running there life to compare it with the quality of mine. Usually those who I am surrounded by are who I allow to set my standard. I am looking to the fallen man; a fellow brother or mentor to be the judge of my own actions. This is very dangerous, for there is no man on earth free from sin, in turn this has distorted my view of perfection and lowered my very drive for holiness. I am constantly looking to the left or right to find someone I can compare my walk with. This allows pride to set in, it also allows for self-pity. There is a reason God became fully man and walked out a perfect life, because he knew in that he was the only one who could hold the standard of righteous living without bringing condemnation along with it. Only through Christ will I find a true picture of holiness, one that does not come attached with guilt and shame. I need to allow Christ to be the only standard in my life. Like the Bereans I need to see if my life is lining up with the word of God, and not mans flawed image of a sanctified believer. God through His Holy Spirit will do all the discerning, he will lead me down the path of righteousness, as opposed to man, “Thus says the Lord: Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart turns away from the Lord.” Says Jeremiah 17:5. We have exchanged our relationship with God for man. We accept the shallow praise of one another and wonder why we are left looking for more. We have settled for this lowly exchange and have it accepted it for our holy land or blessed pasture. Jeremiah goes on to say in verse 7, “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose trust is the Lord.” God has more for us then what we have settled for. We need to go the bible itself for his spiritual standards and we will be delighted with what we find there.

Application:
For the next week all I read in my devotional time is my bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment