Thursday, March 8, 2012

Think Your Something?

Galatians 6:3 For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. (ESV)

Paul is calling those who are spiritual to bear one another’s burdens, and to do so in a spirit of gentleness. First I want to note that before we go on, we recognize gentleness is a fruit of the spirit. As Paul just wrote a few verses back, we recognize this is something obtained not through our own strength or abilities, but through a full submission to the Holy Spirit, allowing that fruit to take place in your life. When I read verse three with one and two in mind I know where I have gone wrong. Shortly after I got saved, it didn’t take long for me to realize my lifestyle had radically changed. Especially when I would go out around those who were non believers. I would seem to forget that just a while before I was no different then them. But yet somehow I had a feeling of pride, like I was better then they were, that I had figured life out and they were to dumb to see the truth. Instead of a compassion for the unsaved I grew disgusted by them. How could they live like that I would ask myself? God started to show me that although I had quite using drugs, that to Him I was no better then the next guy. To him sin is sin, no matter how big or little, I know its not my place to judge and it is clear to me we are all sinners. Even though I was now saved, I was by no means perfect, I still had and have my issues. God really started convicting me. He did not save me so that I could judge the rest of the world of their wrongdoings and sit on my throne of righteousness. There is only one on that throne, “When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?” So I say to myself yeah, there is a God, and its not me. Today God is changing my worldview. I daily come before God, and recognize my role as mere ambassador, and nothing more then an unworthy servant.

Application:
I still find myself falling into a prideful mindset. Today I will ask God to give me compassion for those around me, and look for opportunities to the place the needs of others above mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment