Saturday, March 3, 2012

Thank you?

Luke 17:9 Does he thank the servant because he did what was commanded? (ESV)

Are we seeking that thanks at the end of our duty? Is our very motive behind doing what we do simply to be seen by one another. I wonder what we value more, the thanks from our earthly masters, or a thanks from our heavenly father. I would be lying if I said there were not times I have chosen man over God. Paul says in Colossians 3:23-24, “not by way of eye-service, as people pleasers, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.” We should be working for the Lord, our interior motive should be one to please God. And yes he is pleased by the work we do for him, we see Hebrews 13:16 says, “do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.” What greater reward then serving the one who gives you life, the very creator of your being, of the world you daily walk in and the ones you interact with. I can confidently say the blessing of God far outweighs the blessing of man. So to answer the question in this verse I would say it is not the obedience to the commandment that is pleasing to the Lord, but it’s the condition of the heart.

Application:

Today I will fast and seek the Lord. I will ask him to reveal the driving motive behind my actions and to show me a heart that will please him.

No comments:

Post a Comment