Monday, January 23, 2012

Take Up Your Cross

Mark 8:34 And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." (ESV)

Just before this verse Jesus foretells of his death and resurrection. I find that be of importance because it brings significance to verse 34. Without his death the cross has no meaning. So I wonder if it had any value at the time to his disciples and those gathered around. Christ is telling us to deny ourselves. This reminds me of the prayer of Jesus in Gethsemane in Matthew 26:39 "My father if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless not as i will, but as you will." This is the ultimate example, even knowing of his death, Jesus still asks the father to carry out his will for his life, total denial of self.


Application:
I need to die to myself. Today i will ask the Lord for his will in my life. Tonight i will set aside an hour to devote to the Lord in his work and in prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment