Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Abide in Him

John 8:31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “if you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples” (ESV)

Jesus has just explained to the Jews who he is, in short he gave them his testimony. Now, to those who believed what he had just told them, he tells them his word is the truth and it will set them free. I find it foolish to think that I can continue in my walk without being daily in his word. Often times I will go a day or two without even opening up his word. In John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” I can hardly read that without wanting to keep reading, knowing that the very words I am reading are God speaking to me. But knowing that I still find it a struggle to be in his Word daily. I know it is important and I know it is a desire obtained only through him. What I also know is he promises to abide in us as we abide in him. He never says reject me and I will abide in you. But we have been given this light burden, to abide in him, and yet what does he say John 15:5, “Whoever abides in me and I in him, he is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” The truth will set us free, Jesus is telling us all we need to do is abide in his a Word, if we are truly doing that are actions will go farther than just opening up the bible daily. I wish we took this verse for what it says, often times I feel Christianity today has been turned into a task, into a game of head knowledge, whoever can read the most books will obtain eternal life. But we have been given the book of life, that alone holds the truth of God. I’m not saying those who read other books are going against what the bible says, but if your bible is only a reference to the book your reading, then we have gotten it backwards.

Application:

Today during devotions the only book I will read is my bible. Praying that the spirit of God will guide me to what I need for this day, and will help me to draw out his truth in an applicable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment