Monday, February 27, 2012

Stagnant Faith...

Luke 17:6 And the Lord said, “If you had faith like a grain of mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.”

In verse five “the apostles said the lord, ‘increase our faith!’” He then goes on to tell them if only they had the faith of a mustard seed. We have all herd that the mustard seed is one of the smallest seeds there is. And yet, the Lord is saying if only we had the littlest of faith, then we could say to a mulberry tree, be uprooted and planted in the sea, and it would obey you. The mulberry tree takes deep root into the ground and grows best in a warm, well drained soil. So to uproot one of these trees would not be an easy task, and to plant it in water would be contrary to its very nature. So as I wonder why the mulberry tree for the illustration, I think its plain to see. This would be a highly unlikely situation, one that would require much faith and trust in God to do a work that on a human level would seem to defy logic. I think often times we limit God, instead of bringing what little we do have to him, we pick out what we don’t have and use it to justify our stagnant faith. God is telling us to have a faith that represents his character. Do not limit God into the confines of what we see on the horizontal scale. Rather act in faith, offer up the tangible and trust he will do to it what our unbelief has made impossible.

Application:

Often times I have faith until I think a situation is logically impossible. My faith usually does not go beyond what I already know to be true. This is a limiting faith, today I will ask God to remove my blinders and go into situations without pre-conceived notions.

No comments:

Post a Comment