Monday, February 13, 2012

Walk in Love

I Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant (ESV)

I can assure you if you read this verse in context, these words would not be taken lightly. In the first three verses of chapter 13, Paul is addressing the Corinthians, saying without love all their works are of no meaning. As I read over this section a few times what stuck out to me was how Paul addressed them in first person. As if to note he is not excluded from this. I think often times it is easy to discredit someone’s teaching, when they lay a burden on you that they are not willing to carry out themselves. I think the fact that Paul is willing to include himself in this and actually explain matters as applies to his own life, shows the sincerity and genuineness of what he is trying to reveal to them. This is the same Paul who writes in Romans 12:9 “Let love be genuine.” We should also note that his main motive for addressing this issue is in the misuse of spiritual gifts among this body of believers. He is telling them to examine their motive because without love all work is in vain. I can testify for myself that at first this verse seemed like a simple definition, which is easy to check off as read and mark into the knowledge category of the brain. But as I read the preceding words of Paul I was captivated, “and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.” This is not just another definition, but the very act of love being carried out in the most applicable form. Knowing that love is a fruit of the spirit (Gal 5:22), I look no further before I realize if I want to walk in this manner of love it must be in reliance of the Holy spirit to carry this out in my life. Walking in tune, a simple prayer that allows the spirit into my day to work this love into the very core of my being. A love that Christ has called me to walk in. I John 4:16 “So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.”

Application:
I John 4:16 ministered greatly to me, I will memorize this verse by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment