Saturday, February 11, 2012

Slave to Sin?

John 8:34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.” (ESV)

This verse is explaining to the Jews, who in their minds are free from enslavement, that in reality they are slaves to the daily sin they are walking in. Fallen nature means we will walk in sin till we die. We will never get to the point where our lives are free from sin. If we are under the notion that one day our flesh will die then we have a rough road ahead of us. We need to realize it is a daily battle till the day our souls are taken to heaven where we will no longer long to be filled. The closest we can ever get to God here on earth will still not fulfill that longing. I thank God for this daily, if I no longer longed I would no longer have a need. It is not till we realize this fact, that we have been created this way, to never be truly full until that day we are in his physical presence. Once we can walk in that truth, and understand this daily battle that wages war against us, then we can become slaves of righteousness. Romans 6:17-18 “But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.” We need to realize though that through God we can obtain “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding.” Once we learn his peace is enough we need to learn to allow it to take over in our lives.

Application:
I daily ask God to not let me grow comfortable, I know he wont cause he has created me to long for his presence. In time this truth will allow his peace to overcome that longing. But I still say “Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, “Who is the Lord?” Or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God.” By tomorrow I will memorize Proverbs 30:7-9 as God has brought me back to them daily for a while now.

No comments:

Post a Comment