Saturday, February 18, 2012

True Love

I Corinthians 13:7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (ESV)

How quick am I to fight for this kind of love. When it comes to my own interests, the answer is so plain its convicting. I will be quick to strive after this love as long as I am of benefit. But as said in verse 5, love “does not insist on its own way.” I know if it came down to looking at the interests of another I could not say the same. I need to show this love in a selfless manner. Webster’s 1828 says to bear is “to support; to sustain; as, to bear a weight or burden. Matthew 23:4 Jesus says, “they tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on peoples shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.” So often am I holding those around me to a standard I am not walking in or willing to hold true to my life. But this selfless love says we are to support our brothers and not lay burdens on their shoulders, rather we are to bear their weight. Literally in a sense to bear them upon our shoulders. Webster’s says to believe is to “to expect or hope with confidence; to trust.” Psalm 27:13 says, “I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.” If we do not believe in Gods goodness on this earth, and are not asking him to help us see people as he sees them, the King James says we will literally faint, or be dejected; depressed; dispirited. That’s funny, sound awfully familiar to a majority of the world? The more we focus on ourselves the more insecure we grow. Satan’s way of destroying our ability to bond in spirit with one another. Webster’s 1828 says hope is to have, “confidence in a future event; the highest degree of well founded expectation of good; as a hope founded on God's gracious promises; a scriptural sense.” Paul says in Philippians 1:6, “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” Paul had an incredible capacity to see a work to completion. He knew if someone would let God start the work, He is faithful to carry it out. We need to ask God to give us this same mind, one who can look at others regardless of their outside appearance, and see the work of Christ completed in their life. Lastly Webster’s 1828 says to endure is to “last; to continue in the same state without perishing; to remain; to abide.” Paul in II Corinthians 2:6-7 says “If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer. Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.” We need to allow God to do things in us. Often times in ministry our deepest wounds that were healed, are our greatest authority. From one life filled with pain, God can take that and heal many others. Are we enduring the trails God has placed before us, or are we allowing them to drive us to exhaustion?

Application:

I know God ministered greatly to me on this verse. I feel him telling me to take what he has given to me and put it into the form of a sermon. Adding some background and a bigger picture in context of Paul’s writing in I Corinthians 13 on Love. Also I will add some personal experience to things mentioned then drive it home with strong application. I will do this by  Friday the 24th.

No comments:

Post a Comment